Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Me, Mike and Marcus


Michael Vick is the same age as I, therefore, we went to college at the same time. When I was a freshman at Radford University in 1998, Mr. Vick was a unknown at Virginia Tech enjoying his redshirt season with the Hokies.

He did a little drug dealing on the side. I knew a guy, who knew a guy ... you know what I mean.

In 1999, I bet with a college roommate that Vick and the Hokies would lose the national championship to Florida State in Nokia Sugar Bowl. They lost and I won $100.

In 2004, while working for the Daily News-Record, I drove down to Blacksburg, Va. and wrote a story about the thug version of Michael -- younger brother Marcus -- and how his potential had exceeded his older brothers. Marcus could barely put together complete sentences in front of a room full of reporters.

Two weeks later, Marcus was arrested for having sex with a 15-year-old Blacksburg girl and after a few more run-ins with the law, he was suspended indefinitely from the team in 2006. He never played another down for the Hokies. So it goes.

In 2007, Michael Vick got caught with the whole dog-fighting thing in Newport News, Va. and was suspended from the NFL without pay. He went to jail and lost millions. So it goes.

Today, the Philadelphia Eagles named Michael Vick as their starting quarterback, replacing the concussed Kevin Kolb.

Today, Marcus Vick activated a pager ($10/month) in Newport News, Va. and started his new job as a newspaper delivery boy.

As for me, I'm still writing sports. And trying to stay clear of drug dealers, vicious dog fights and underage sex feigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment