Tuesday, June 14, 2011

No power, no fun

There's something very eerie about driving around a dark island under the clarity of a full moon.

Had some drinks with an old friend for his bday and made it back home at a reasonable hour. But I wake up in the middle if the night because the power went out and the comfortable buzz of the AC unit in my room went deafly silent.

I tried not to think about it. Sweat started to bead on my forehead. This is impossible.

Before I knew it, I was clothed and walking out the door to my car. The plan was to drive down the hill to my office, enjoy the AC from a generator and blog about last weekend's hike to Mermaid's Chair. Incredible photos; amazing time.

When I arrive at office -- the same place we waited out a Hurricane last year because of the generator -- it was pitch black and only my boss' car was in driveway. Was he in there? Can he see me?

I walk up to front door but the power is off because I can push the front door wide open and instead of generator lights illuminating the lobby, there's nothing. Darkness. No security system. Very strange.

I get in car and crank AC. It feels nice. I feel like I'm cheating. Where to next?

After a short cruise down the street, I find the 24-hour gas station is lit up and open for business. You know what, I feel like getting some pizza from a 24-hour gas station so I pull up.

The place is packed. No luting, just packed. Black people talking about how it's hot and they can't sleep. See, I'm not alone. Others can't put up with a sweltering, breezeless night. Just like me.

After I walk out with crap pizza, another islander approaches quickly and asks if I want to buy bootleg CDs. Then he asked if I had jumper cables. I told him I did not have jumper cables but I really did. I offer him a piece if pizza, he declines and I get into my car. Awee, AC.

Can't stay here. They'll eat me alive here. So I start to drive. Through a powerless night under the full moon.

After I park in front of my house, I heard gun shots in the distance. It came from a nearby project. Frustration. I want the power to be turned back on, too. Do you want some pizza?

Another long, hot Caribbean night. I may sleep in my car.

1 comment:

  1. wow, that sounds awesome. just start drinking, swealtering heat is better dealt with when drunk. It probably wasn't a gun fired in aggression, just an ole Bullets fan from Nova..

    ReplyDelete