Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mexican Mayhem

So after watching YouTube videos of the chaos going on in Jamaica, our newspaper published a story in today's edition that the USVI's killings per capita are on-track to outpace Jamaica's homicide rate.

A grin and slight chuckle was all I could offer Alison, a friend from out of town, when we heard five gun shots Sunday evening from my living room.

It made me wonder. Am I really living in a murder zone?

And then I heard the amazing news that a new Mexican Food take-out joint just opened in Red Hook and all my fears dissipated. Ah yes, it's called the Burrito Deli and while walking around with a very hungover out-of-towner (I won't mention any names), we came across this fine establishment.

Even though we had just ate brunch, I had to walk in and check it out. It was about 11:30 a.m. and the entire dining room was empty. No, check that. Two waitresses were sitting at a table and one of them was wearing a hair net, so maybe she was a cook.

No take-out menus available. It was a real classy joint.

My Mexican food obsession has been the topic of conversations at parties and in general passing with friends. I hear of some phantom restaurant on island and it's like a scavenger hunt to find it.

There are just a few things I miss from the States. The Tex-Mex flavors from places such as Baha Fresh, Chipotle and the always-likable Taco Bell are high on that list.

The No. 1 thing I really miss is the ability to watch professional baseball in person. I miss my Orioles and my Nationals. I don't care how bad the Birds are. Lots of excitement in DC these days but that's here nor there.

But I have a marathon race to run and in less than 2 weeks, I will be in Southern California where carne asada burritos are handed to you after you exit the plane and the guacamole flows like rain. Hey, that rhymed.

No comments:

Post a Comment