Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Knuckle Up

I have to say that one of the best parts about my job is that I get to talk to new people almost everyday. I think that's the same for any sports writer.

St. Thomas is a small island -- 13 square miles -- so there is not a bounty of sports to dig into everyday. I know this, people. Every time I tell someone what I do and where, that's the next thing out of their mouth. "So do they even have sports down there?"

Why, yes. They sure do.

Every so often, I make my way down to the Paul M. Pearson Gardens Learning Center (a very long name for a dark, dirty dungeon where boxers learn to crush their opponents). It's located right in the middle of a tough neighborhood. Last month, someone was shot inside a nearby apartment, stumbled onto the outdoor basketball court and died -- I checked the next day for blood splatter.

But when I complete the journey down there, successfully park without drawing too many stares and make it into the gym, the red carpet is rolled out for "that newspaper guy with the beard."

Most of them know me by name. The ones that don't just haven't been interviewed yet.

So I've been following these three local guys who went pro last year. Each of them are still undefeated at the moment. Two of the three are brothers and the third is their cousin.

Confused yet? Let me try harder.

Their coach is the brothers' father, also known as Julian "The Hawk" Jackson, a three-time boxing world champion. Great guy.

Jackson's stepson is this young fellow...


His name is Clayton (perfect first name for a boxer) Laurent. He's the USVI super heavyweight and if everything goes to plan, he will compete in the 2012 Olympics in London.

When I was interviewing a female boxer making her amateur debut last Saturday, Clayton, who was still warming up for his bout, grabbed my digital recorder and took over.

He started to ask her sarcastic questions about her fight and the best part was she started to answer them. I thought I was going to have to give him a byline credit at the end of the story.

To read that story, which was published in Monday's edition, click here.

Another funny thing is that he wears two different colored socks pulled up to his bulky knee caps when he fights. Yeah, he's that kind of person.

When I made fun of his fresh new haircut -- Clayton had styled in three straight lines on the side of his head like what M.C. Hammer used to do -- he had a quick response.

"I'm trying to bring it back, man. That's all."

He's funny, humble and very likable. And a damn good boxer. He floored his opponent from Puerto Rico twice in the second round Saturday and the PR coach threw in the towel.

Better yet, a friend of mine who works at The Saint, the only "night club" on the island, said she saw a bunch of boxers in the club later that night celebrating.

"Oh yeah, one of them was wearing a whole bunch of medals around his neck," she told me. "He was huge!"

I knew right away who she was talking about. Only Clayton would take everyone's medals, put them around his neck and enter the club on a Saturday night.

Now the day I get to roll with those guys into the club -- that would be an experience. I only wish I was that cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment