Friday, June 18, 2010

World Cup fever

The greatest sporting event in the world is going on as we speak and I was supposed to be in attendance. Four years ago, my brother and I traveled to Germany for a freakout that was the 2006 World Cup and it was one of the best trips of my life.


About a year ago, I was starting to make a push for South Africa but this fine newspaper in the U.S. Virgin Islands contacted me and the rest is history. Now, I live in paradise and get to watch the soccer on TV at local bars. It's the middle of winter down there anyway so it all worked out.

My favorite WC picture so far... (it's Diego Maradona)


Last week, I was venting in the office after the U.S.-England game and was running my mouth a little bit. "Bloody bastard" this and "Bad teeth" that. You know, the basic trash-talking.

One of our news reporters, Aldeth, just sat and listened to me with a slight grin on her face. Little did I know that the nice, young intern she just brought into the office is from England. They sat, listened and waited for my ignorant rant to subside. After I was done and trying to catch my breath, Aldeth told me the intern was British and I immediately blushed.

"Shouldn't you guys be happy with the tie?" the intern asked me.

"I was happy with the War of 1812," I said.


Fast forward a couple days. My parents are in town and we've been watching a lot of soccer together. Look at my pops represent Old Glory in the Caribbean.

I took them to a breakfast place this morning to ensure prime-time seats at the bar for the U.S.-Slovenia game.

Of course, we're there 5 minutes before they meet a group of soccer fans from New Jersey, their home state. We combined our powers to exhaust the novice bartenders. It was a great game and a fine atmosphere to take in the action.

When the U.S. scored their third goal (I don't give a shit what that stupid referee said) I jumped for joy and my beer went flying. The folks from Jersey didn't mind.

Watching the England-Algeria game right now. If our favorite French implants can shock the Brits, two things will occur:

1. I'll have more fire to throw back at that news intern.
2. The U.S. team will be in good position to advance.

I love soccer.

No comments:

Post a Comment