Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Restaurant Review -- Tavern On The Waterfront

My girlfriend is an amazing cook so I guess you can call her a foodie. I don't like that word but when I typed in "person who frequents restaurants" into dictionary.com, it came up with zero references.

She actually doesn't like to eat out that much because she feels she can cook better than most professionals. I can attest to this.

Anyway, I'm getting off the subject. We do eat out from time to time and I felt it would add a little spice (no pun intended) to the blog if I start to critique the fine eating establishments around St. Thomas. There can't be more than like 35 so if I hit one a week and share my analysis with you, the reader, then everyone wins. Right?

OK. Here goes.


Restaurant Review #1 -- Tavern On The Waterfront

I found out last week that our friend, Julie, just started to work at Tavern and it sits close by to a favorite happy-hour spot, the Big Kahuna Rum Shack, so we decided to try it out.

Brianna, my girlfriend, actually had lunch there before and already had pretty high reviews for it.

It's right on Veteran's Drive and is perched on the second floor across the street from the waterfront (hence, the name). When it comes to successful restaurants on St. Thomas, it's all about location and this one sits almost in the epicenter of cruise boat tourist central.

As we walked up the stairs, I read that they have a 2 for 1 drink special EVERYDAY except Fridays. You have to sit at the bar for the special but that tidbit of info had me smiling before I even entered the door.

The dining room was mostly empty but it was 5:30 p.m. and there was only one cruise boat in port that day. The bar, however, was almost at capacity with muffled afternoon boozers.

Before our friendly server Melanie seated us -- we later learned Julie only works the lunch shift -- I got a good view of the place. White cloth tables, gentle jazz music playing in the background and a table right next to the window waiting for us.

I snapped a primitive photo with my iPhone of the restaurant after the bar emptied out. It's a little fuzzy but Slav, the owner, is behind the bar. Great guy.


They had an extensive wine menu that we did not fall victim to. Instead, we each ordered ice water so we could maximize the taste and complexion of the food.

Wow. Did you hear that? Like I'm some kind of food critic or something. Hilarious.

My baby recommended the Polish Perogis -- she had ordered them before -- for an appetizer and we decided not to get them with bacon. Brianna doesn't dig on swine anymore.

They arrived with sour cream on the side and with caramelized onions draped across them. Of course, they were piping hot and I burned my mouth because I was hungry and I could not wait.

After glancing over the menu, which was a little on the expensive side, I opted for the special that Melanie described to me for my entree. It was a rib eye steak, with scallops, mashed potatoes and mixed veggies. Does it get any better?


I didn't find out until the check came that it cost $32. The N.Y. Strip on their menu was $28. Now I'm not going to get into an argument about the different kinds of steaks and how they're cut so save that for another time.

I ordered it cooked medium and it came out perfectly. The bourbon sauce they poured all over it made the meal. The scallops were a little small but tasty. Mashed potatoes did the job and the veggies were on point.

Brianna order the Fruit & Berry Salad and she was quite pleased.


It had a big chunk of fried goat cheese and was surrounded with diced strawberries and green apples. She surrendered a taste and it was one of the best salads I've had since I've been on island. I don't know if that says a lot.

It was the clean plate club, as usual, and we were too full for dessert unfortunately. Slav, the owner, came by our table during the meal to chat. He told us that they have an open mic night on Fridays and that's why they don't do the drink special.

He said last week a 15-year-old got up on the stage and impressed the crowd. Slav said it was some of the best jazz he's heard and invited him back. Will I be in attendance? Tough to say.

But I will come back for the food. Good service. Great presentation and it all happened within a comfortable setting.

Final grade: B+

1 comment:

  1. Correction--pear slices!!! And a ribeye IS a better cut of steak--it's more tender and flavorful. Specials are almost ALWAYS pricier, dear. =)

    ReplyDelete