Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Can I get a burger with that shake?

A good dose of honesty smacking you in the face is a good thing sometimes. Well, here goes.

About 12 days ago, I had a seizure. Now I know what you're thinking...

If you know me well and are aware that I have worked with this weird and mysterious condition since 2005, I'm sure your first reaction may be of concern.

If you didn't know I've battled against seizures, go ahead and let it out: WHAT THE FUCK?

I've only had two conscious seizures in my life. The first obviously opened my eyes to the condition. I didn't know what seizures really were at the time and actually denied that I had even had one. But it happened inside a newsroom in front of 7 or 8 people and they begged to differ. Our office had just replaced the carpet with hard tiled floors the week before so I have a small scar near my hairline to remember the fantastic occasion.

It happened again in 2007 while giving my little brother and his friend a tour of my then new house in Annapolis, Md. I dropped like a bag of bricks in the middle of my backyard deck and legend has it my dogs guarded my shaky bones and barked at anyone who tried to help me. Awkward events aside, I thought that was pretty cool.


Besides that, a few slumber party friends have seen me seizing in my sleep. This has happened a handful of times and is very scary for the witness but usually painless for me during my hibernated state.

OK, why do I bring this up? Not sure.

This latest bout surprised me because I thought I was over "the shakes." But I was not smart and I did not keep up with my meds.

It happened early in the morning on Monday and it occurred during my sleep. The only thing I remember is two paramedics inside my room and my girlfriend cleaning dried blood off my face. I went to the hospital, did all the the tests and (drum roll please...) no real answers.

"Just don't stop taking your medication!" the doctor scolded me.

He was right. I had gone camping the Friday night before and I didn't pack the meds. Had a little too much to drink on Saturday night and passed out without taking the meds. The medication level was scary low in my body, the doctor revealed, which points to only one thing -- seize.

I had a gash above my right eye brow. No, it was nothing like Eli Manning, who received 12 stitches and will hopefully be ready for Week 1.

They put skin glue on my gash and it got soaked up in blood. It was not the most attractive thing and invited plenty of inquiries.

I decided not to tell people I had a seizure because just the very word freaks people out. Instead it was, "I fell off the bed" because I did.

"Oh yeah, so that's what you're going to stick with, huh?" a person at my office said. "OK, Aaron. I believe you."

I've been told that seizures can really ruin a weekend. Trust me, they're no fun. But I refuse to let it hinder my life.

That's why the very next weekend, I was rock climbing and cliff jumping with friends at Bordeaux on the west side of St. Thomas.


While putting on and taking off my snorkel mask, the skin glue came off and the final wound was revealed. It didn't look that bad. And the fear had already dissipated.

It's a simple formula to follow: watch doctors shrug their shoulders, take my meds, live my life. Doesn't sound so bad, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment