Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sailing the Caribbean Blue

Why do scurvy sailors always have to make fun of land lovers like myself when we take Dramamine before getting on a boat (or in a kayak during rough conditions)?

I covered the 2011 International Rolex Regatta this past weekend and besides taking in all the colorful sights and foul-mouth sailor lingo, I was constantly belittled because yes, I sometimes get a little seasick. The harassment occurred in person and through facebook (I'm talking about you, Billy Haynie).

But I didn't let the yacht folk ruin a great weekend. I was on the media boat with the rest of the hired geeks for two days during the three-day regatta and got to meet some extraordinary people.

I brought the Wolverine with me for the first day. He posed as my intern/assistant/boat-savvy associate and after seeing all the sights, it just magnified his renewed passion to buy a boat and live on the water.

That first day, I also met up with Jason (last name escapes me), who I met last year during the regatta. This guy comes down from New Jersey every year, shoots his ass off, puts the photos online and hopes the 700+ sailors in action purchase enough so he can pay for the trip.

His girlfriend came with him on the boat last year but deferred this year because from time-to-time, she also gets a little sea sick. Go figure.

While on the deck after the first day, I kissed the ground and started to chug water because it was the first time all day my stomach was comfortable with fluids in it. I also met up with Ansen, who works for the V.I. Olympic Committee and he told me that the VIOC voted me as their "exclusive media person" for the upcoming Pan American Games in Mexico and the 2012 Olympics in London.

I'm not too sure but it sounds pretty good. This guy (two thumbs pointed back at me) is going to the Olympics next summer. Booyah!

On the final day, I brought along Daily News features reporter Michael Todd, who was just hired last month and also prided himself as a sailor of the seas. He doesn't get seasick, but he also did not make fun of me when I downed three Dramamine pills, chased with a cold Budweiser.

Two Italian photographers were also on this amazing Catamaran, which towed the hired geeks from one photography site to the next for the regatta. Dale was the boat captain and he was awesome. Probably going to tap him for a future charter when my no-good friends come to town next month.

Back to the Italians. They barely spoke English and I think they made fun of my equipment. I openly made fun of their accent with Mike and then we were even.

"That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?"

Overall, the Rolex Regatta was a fantastic experience.

It was just another moment I can freeze-frame in my mind and then ask the same questions I've inquired about for the last year: "What the hell am I doing here? How did I get so lucky?"

1 comment: